and a baby could be at any point now too!
Baby Size: CLL could be any size at this point…somewhere around 8lbs still? The fruit/veggie comparison is a PUMPKIN! How appropriate! His/her head is now around the same circumference as her abdomen.
Fun Facts: Our baby could have almost an inch of hair at this point (or also have none)! The babe is now shedding most of the vernix covering his/her skin but some will also still be on him/her at birth.
How I’m Feeling: This past week I’ve noticed my energy level has definitely decreased. I just feel slower. I haven’t really changed my daily activities but I am just doing them more slowly. Yoga is still great although it does irritate my SI so I’m taking a few days off and sticking to the elliptical at the gym. Plus, I love listening to my podcasts while I workout.
On Sunday I took a breast-feeding class (Mach got to sit this one out, although he will definitely be heavily involved in the process once the baby actually arrives)!
We got to practice different techniques for holding the baby while breastfeeding as well as an average routine to expect to have the first few weeks the baby is home. I knew breastfeeding was going to be intense, but I don’t think I realized quite how demanding it actually is. I am excited to try it on an actual baby (and not just on the baby doll model)!
We also practiced swaddling (note-the baby doll didn’t look quite so dirty in person):
I had my 38 week appointment this morning with the our doctor. I’ve dilated to 1cm. She was able to touch the baby’s head with her finger. Still no updates on when she thinks the baby will decide to make an appearance. She brought up stripping my membranes in an effort to keep me from going past my due date. Stripping membranes is a relatively simple procedure. This is when my doctor attempts to gently separate the amniotic sac from the uterus. The stripping, or sweeping as its sometimes called, will cause cramping, which can bring on contractions/labor. Mach and I both felt like we could wait for this procedure since I am only 38 weeks. We agreed that if I haven’t had any progress by the next appointment we would discuss doing this next week. Our doctor would rather do this procedure than have to induce me if I go too far past my due date. Although we area really against any intervention we also know that we do not want to be induced and if there is something we can do to prevent that, we will.